Thanksgiving is 2 days away! We wanted to pass along some tips to make it a healthy & safe holiday for you & your pet(s).
Toxic Holiday Foods & Plants:
- Stuffing. Ingredients in stuffing like onions, grapes or raisins are toxic to pets, so forgo the stuffing.
- Pumpkin Pie. Plain pumpkin is safe but the other ingredients in pumpkin pie can cause stomach upset and other digestive disorders.
- Chocolate and the artificial sweetener, Xylitol are both highly toxic to pets
- Poultry bones. Do not give your pet any turkey bones to eat off of. They can break easily and cause serious medical issues.
- Pointsettia, Holly, Mistletoe, Lillies, Daffodils, & Amaryllis are all toxic to pets and should be avoided in the home
- Christmas Trees: besides the danger of lights & ornaments, fir trees produce an irritant that can cause excessive vomiting or drooling. The water used to nourish the tree can also be filled with bacteria and a few licks can cause your pet to become extremely sick.
Safe Holiday Foods:
- Small amount of fully cooked turkey without skin is safe for pets. Add it to their food bowl as a little treat.
- Plain, cooked sweet potatoes (without the marshmallows & brown sugar).
- Plain, cooked green beans are safe but not green bean casserole.
- Cranberry Sauce in a small amount is also safe.
If you think your pet has ingested something that has made him sick, call your vet immediately or call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435. Signs of pet distress include: sudden changes in behavior, depression, pain, vomiting, or diarrhea.
We wish you and your furry family a Happy, Healthy, & Safe Thanksgiving!